5 QUESTIONS WITH JOY OF INCLUSION PROTAGONIST – Mmatema Moremi e-catalogue
1. Tell us about yourself (150 words)
My name is Mmatema Moremi, 29 year old originally from Zebediela Moletlane in Limpopo, currently residing in Johannesburg with my husband and our almost two years old son, Ethan.
I grew up a lover of the stage and a performer of note, having my first professional performance at age 10 with a live band and singers behind me and the entire village watching us perform has always been my happy place.
I run a record label with myself currently as my own artist, it is a lot of work as I take care of all the bookings, performances, interviews, recordings, PR and I also run a YouTube channel that has over 30k subscribers titled Mmatema Mrs G channel.
2. You are one of the five Inclusion Heroes who are part of NESTLÉ CREMORA's reimagined Joy of Inclusion advert "It's Not Inside... It's On Top", what does inclusion mean to you?
Inclusion to me means, equality. Being able to be sitting in the same room as big decision makers because you deserve to be, regardless of how you look, your gender or age.
3. To your understanding, what perception did society have of inclusion in the past? Would you say there is a noticeable shift in that perception regarding today's behavioural conduct from society?
There is a shift definitely as we grew up knowing men and women to have different roles they play today in society. Today we have husbands that stay home and watch the kids while the wife works and it’s not a taboo thing to many. We have women that are in industries that are mostly male dominated and are kicking butt.
4. What challenges have you encountered as a business woman and how did these affect you?
Having to be this young with little experience has been hard , it is difficult to knock on a door with not a single past experience to show for what you want but just a drive, passion or skill. It has also been difficult to try stay up in the ranks of big labels being known as the girl that turned down a stable label.
I’ve had days where I want to pack up and go back to their doors knocking and ask that they take me in, but my passion for ownership has always taken the front seat. I have been broke and “not relevant” because I’m working from the ground up, thank God for my husband in this regard, I never got depressed.
5. You are having a joyous coffee session with NESTLÉ CREMORA, who are 3 people in your guestlist and why?
I know it’s crazy but probably Beyoncé (I love her leadership and ownership) , The president (there’s some stuff I need to talk to him about and he could use a good laugh) and my Husband and son (my husband loves coffee anyway and I can’t live without them).